Monday, July 14, 2014

Why I Didn't Like the Series of Unfortunate Events

Series of Unfortunate Events
Lemony Snicket






I'll be the first one to admit I'm old. Too old, according to a lot of people to read young adult and childrens books. However, I mostly just stick my fingers in my ears and hum "la la la la" over and over again. I'll be 30 in September - and a Mom in December, so I'm feeling super old right about now.

I've loved children's books since...well, obviously - since I was a child. I still read them on occasion. I happily read through each Harry Potter book in about a day. I love Darren Shan's series Cirque du Freak. I love children's books - I swear I do.

However, I did not love the Series of Unfortunate Events books by Lemony Snicket (Daniel Handler). I know, I know - I'm in the minority here. Hey, there was even a movie! (more on that later).

I've made it through 7 of the books and I just can't bare to read any more of them. I can't. And you can't make me.

I made the disastrous mistake of watching the movie before I started reading any of the books. I thought the movie was awesome. It left a lot of unanswered questions, so I figured I would find them by reading through the series. I was so very, very wrong. There were no answers to be found. The amazing subplot of the parents belonging to some sort of secret spy organization involving spyglasses was completely missing. This was not, however, why I had to stop reading them.



I've already admitted I'm old. Maybe kids get more of a kick out of this than I do....but the adults were DUMB. Every last one of them. There's not a brain in the bunch. Despite overwhelming evidence from kids who are clearly years ahead of others their ages, the adult never believe them.

Let's use common sense when dealing with Count Olaf! Nope. Never once. No common sense to be found. He just keeps getting away - which I suppose is the reason there's 13 of the books all focused on getting the kids away from beloved Count Olaf and the adults never believing them when they say a certain person is clearly him.

I felt dumb reading them. I couldn't suspend my disbelief any further. It was already so suspended, it would never go back to school.

And so, after 7 books I had to tell myself that, no, I wouldn't be finishing the series. The downside...or upside, depending on what type of person you are - is that the books themselves are just lovely. They sit so neatly and primly on my bookshelf I don't think I shall ever part with them. I've got the hardcover copies of all 13.

It's possible the little goblin in my stomach will like them when he or she grows up. That's a waiting game, though. From an adults perspective - reading them is like letting your brain dribble out of your ears.


No comments:

Post a Comment